Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tunnel mouth disappointment!

Well for the last couple of weeks I have been trying to complete the tunnel mouth to Kensington Hill. Last week I was suffering problems with the wing walls. I had tried both card and balsa to no avail. I finally gave in and decided to not bother with them! Friday last week comes and I have time in the evening to go to the shed and do a dry fit. I had put some 'soot' weathering on the top of the tunnel entrance then sprayed matt varnish to seal the paper. Then into the tunnel hole waiting for the brickwork. Looked very good even without the wing walls. I temporarily pinned it to the polystyrene and decided to test the curvature with some middle sized wagons. This is where it went downhill (pardon the pun). It would seem that the track curves just inside the tunnel were to severe for the wagons and the tunnel entrance sides, as they brushed the sides. Damn!

Back to the drawing board. I might have to scratchbuild the tunnel mouth to a wider dimension than what Scalescenes produce. I will have to do some research into different tunnel materials to see what best reflects the period/s being generally modelled. Brick, stone work, concrete, etc.

The one I have just made may still be able to be used in a different location on the layout, or stored away for future use somewhere. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment