The Qld Sugar Loco has still to run on rails pending the redevelopment of my control software. This had progress towards the end of 2024 but has stalled again because as usual with this hobby there are numerous sub-hobbies that distract you or get priority.
The main topic of update for 2024 was the purchase of the Accucraft Shay 13T Class A live steam G scale loco modelled on the Mapleton Tramway prototype here in Qld (up behind Nambour). It has taken me quite a while to get used to how to run this loco as it has numerous quirks compared to my Roundhouse Bertie which is so simple to run. I have been engaged with a G Scale forum on the matter of its running quirks and have had some wins on the board but still working out some issues. The one really odd thing is that my loco has a issue with the burner going out if the smokebox door is closed. It has less chance of going out if it is open. Hence why in the photos and videos below you will see it open.
It does run better though when pulling a train of wagons. I have borrowed my Bertie's train of 1:19 English narrow gauge wagons which it pulls well. One of my fellow G scalers loaned me his logging wagons for a run and it pulled them really well and looks great. So a train of those is a must.
Which brings me to what I'm doing modelling this year. As the prototype Shay was used to pull full stick (old style) sugar cane wagons, general goods and animal freight, logs and timber, and passengers this little railway has many pieces of rollingstock I could model. One thing I realised when reading about the railway and looking at old photos was an ingenious way they used the cane trucks. These were very utilitarian. One end had a fixed frame handbrake attached. The other end was removable. Why would this be removable? Because they also used them as log disconnects by putting in a pivot bolster in the middle of the wagon. They also used them as small flatcars for transporting boxed goods etc. So these will be the first thing I model because of the variety of uses that can be shown.
I purchased a new 3D printer in February (Anycubic Kobra S1 with the ACE Pro multi filament system) to replace my aging Creality Ender 3 (one of the original models from 5-6 years ago which technology has raced past).
Over the last couple of weeks I have designed and printed a prototype wagon based on wagon plans I have access to (along with a bit of modeller's license) which I am happy with. It will be hybrid merge of 3D plastic and scale timber for that authentic look. I was able to purchase scale steel wheel sets that match the 1:20.3 of the rollingstock. These a pretty good weight wise so I may not need extra weight to counter the lightness of the plastic.
So hopefully this will encourage me to provide regular updates on the progress of this wagon's development for my readers. I intend to do 8 of these wagons to start with.
Ciao for now
Greg





Loved seeing your video of the Accucraft shay running. I did photograph the real loco when it was plinthed outside Morton Mill in 1993, and have "The Mapleton Tramway" book by John Knowles. You have chosen well.
ReplyDelete