This week spare time was spent working on how I was going to power and activate the panel LEDs which indicate the points' throw direction. I came up with my idea for a point motor microswitch which involved a microswitch, screw block, styrene, some cable and super glue.
Now the interesting bit, how to power this so that it is mechanically latched so that when the power is off it 'remembers' the direction of the points. I spoke to my mate Craig who utilised a DCC to DC 12V circuit to power his staff machines. I improved on the design as I like things to be neat (sorry Craig). I will mount it on the rear of the control panel so that everything needed to run the system is readily at hand.
I also spent some time this arvo and evening sorting out the mounting boards for the DS64, Mini-panel and the MRC accessory decoder. These boards are made from perspex for rigidity and drillability. I considered MDF or ply but thought these might warp in the humidity we get in Brisbane, so decided on perspex. I could have used styrene but was saving this for other projects. All mounted now except for the MRC decoder as the mounting hole (only one which is a pain, two would have been better!) is only 2.5mm or 3/32" in diameter. Wouldn't you know it, I don't actually have a bolt and nut that small! I will have to check out the hardware stores this week.
So this week I hope to fix the panel LEDs into place (trying hot glue first else super glue), solder the resistors into place on the positive legs of the LEDs, daisy chain solder the negative legs of the LEDs together and connect to the power supply/DCC-DC converter. If time permits, I might solder the speaker wire I am using for the LED +ve activations ready for connection to the microswitches once these have been fixed/glued into place. Other things to do is install the DS64, mini-panel and MRC decoder to the underside of the layout and install the control panel. Then the fun begins of connecting up all the wires between the control panel and the various support electronics. Then testing all functions work as planned.
This afternoon for a little while I helped Lachlan with a couple of things on his layout. He painted in the lake and glued down some grass scatter. Once this is dry we will improve it with some static grass.
Sounds like a busy week. Hopefully I get to do some of it but that will depend on the evenings being free. At the moment the little fella (Matthew) is, we think, cutting another molar, so really fun times ahead this week or two!!!
This Week's Review
1 week ago




No comments:
Post a Comment