Monday, March 21, 2011

Installation of the DCC 'smarts' commenced

This week I started planning the DCC 'smarts' and the control panel installation. I didn't think I was going to get much done this weekend but the weather (read rain) prevented me from doing any yard and garden work on both days (Oh dear, what a shame!).

Saturday morning I went to Jaycar to get some bits and pieces for the electronics. Saturday arvo I was able to spend some time in the shed planning where to fit the NCE Mini Panel, Digitrax DS64 and MRC 4-output decoder, as well as the location of the control panel for the Kensington Hill side of the layout. Saturday night I spent wiring/soldering up the common wire across the control panel switches.

Sunday arvo I spent trying to affix the DS64 to the underside of the layout. I was having some problems with bolt lengths (long story so don't ask) so I might have to revisit how I am going to attach the device. I was also able to cut down some Perspex, drill out the mounting holes, and mount the mini-panel (with PCB spacers) onto it as I didn't want to directly mount the MP due to the circuit board not being flush on the rear side. The Perspex will also provide some protection.

This week I am hoping to continue wiring/soldering the switch specific wires ready for connection to the mini-panel inputs. A bit more research on the 'DCC sourced power supply' for the points' microswitches power (to be used as the control panel indicators) and how to wire them up to the microswitches to power the LEDs. I will borrow the design from my friend Mr Mackie and customise to suit whatever number of LEDs I intend to power from the one 'supply'. I might need a few! I might also get around to mounting the MRC decoder onto Perspex as well and install under the layout ready for connecting up the signals and lights at a later date. If I get time, I will also try to connect up the points to the DS64 and give them a test.

Nothing done on Lachlan's layout this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment