Sunday, April 17, 2011

Electronics are fun, electronics are fun!

I must keep saying that to myself to keep me going!

This week I have spent trying to sort out the problem with the mini-panel not issuing its commands when being programmed with a Powercab. With the help from the NCE-DCC Yahoo Forum, in particular Mark Schutzer, I was able to 'force' the MP to start issuing commands. Very bizarre though. Basically I had to program it to issue Macro commands when an input was pressed. These macros were empty. However as I understand it from Mark's explanation, the Macro command forces the MP to issue the command over the CAB bus. I was then able to reprogram the inputs to what I wanted them to do and this worked. I finally had points being switched when I pressed a momentary 'push to make' switch on the control panel. Thanks Mark. However some bad news. Mark was not sure if my SPDT switches would work as the input would be continual and the MP doesn't work that way apparently (sorry Craig!). Further research also suggests this is the case. The MP manual needs to be updated with 'momentary toggle' rather than just 'toggle' in the doco!

Also along with the newly found out information that says I could only run ONE MP on my layout if I persist with using the Powercab only to run the layout (which is probably going to have to be the way at the moment due to the lack of moolah reasons) I am going to have to rethink my electronics setup. So I have unbolted the control panel on Saturday so that I can troubleshoot the switch feedback indicator LEDs problem (not lighting up!) and the Light and Signal SPDT switches. Somewhere in the mess of connections is the answer as to why nothing lights up.

Another minor problem (I hope) is that one of the connected point motors isn't throwing its switch. I can hear a faint tink but no movement. I will have to investigate whether its a wiring problem or try the circuit with a spare motor to determine if the problem is with the motor itself.

All this is holding up further modelling but unfortunately needs to be done. An educational experience for sure!

Unsure what the Easter Long weekend will bring modelling wise as it is already busy with second son's 2nd birthday, planned house maintenance (weather permiting) and catching up with some friends, but the following May Day Long Weekend is the AMRA Brisbane Model Train Show and the club (RMCQ) will be needing hands on deck to help. I will have to see if I can get a day pass from the missus!

No comments:

Post a Comment