Thursday, April 12, 2012

A bit tardy with the blog update, but modelling nonetheless!

Sorry a bit late with this update but the Easter weekend was very busy and the post Easter week has been busy as well.

So before Easter I was able to make a serious start on the Terrace Houses for Kensington Hills. I glued the various Scalescenes plans to the applicable cardboard sizes (0.5, 1 and 2mm thick) during the course of the week. Then on Thursday and Friday nights I was able to make a start on cutting them out for assembly. That's were this was left.

Over Easter, mostly an hour or so each afternoon, I was able to do a bit more on the KH side of things. This entailed using the airbrush in anger for the first time. I did the mountains behind the retaining walls (distance effect) in a combined two shades of green colour. The missus came out and said the shading was not right if I was trying to match the foreground Hill landscape grass colour. "Lighten it up a bit more!". So the following afternoon was spent doing just this, but still not enough. I might have to use a bit of yellow/green in the mix to see what this does. I was also able to add some gray scudding clouds to the blue sky to break this up. On Monday afternoon when I was cleaning up, I did my usual thing of letting the air out of the compressor and the release valve sheared off! I will have to get a replacement before I can use the thing again.

One night over the weekend I was also able to fix Lachlan's Alaska RR diesel which has a dodgy universal joint.

On Monday morning I hitched up the bike trailer to my old treadly (ex Father-in-Law's) to take Matthew for a ride down to the Club to see how long it would take. The reason being that this Saturday the missus has the car and I might need to find alternative travelling arrangements to the Club. The usual 7-8 minute car trip took 20 minutes by bike, so not that bad. Mostly downhill and flat. The only problem is the uphills! PK and one of the Bobs were down at the Club so we spent 30 minutes having a chat about the N scale exhibition layout's progress before heading back home via the butcher's (yes I had packed a small esky in the trailer). Discovered on the way home that I need new brakes as I couldn't stop on the downhills without using my joggers as brakes. It was fine on the way to the Club but obviously enough rubber had been lost to make it unsafe on the way home to go downhill with the weight of the trailer behind me causing a bit more weight to pull up. On the flats were OK. The new brakes were put on last night.

The few days following Easter has been spent collating and analysing the couple of surveys I have been running on behalf of the Club membership, one for the modelling competition and one for the HO Layout features. I will present the findings at the Saturday Monthly Club meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment