Monday, December 3, 2012

Pi Wi Fi - no way!

As the terraces were done, I focussed on the problem with the wifi and the Raspberry Pi. Online research followed by application of said fixes was not working after three nights. I decided that the problem must still be with the manufacturer's latest firmware not operating correctly on the Pi's linux. This is a wild arse assumption but I had to blame something! So my answer was to order a wifi dongle from the UK which is supposed to work out of the box according the the Pi online community. As it was it was half the price including postage than the one I have. I will use the D-link that didn't work on the Pi with the PC instead.

I have decided also not to progress with the JMRI and Pi integration until the wifi connectivity is sorted out as I need a wireless LAN operating for connectivity to the Engine Driver app on the smartphone, as well as experimenting with remote terminal connectivity via WLAN.

I also received in the post a Ratio GWR home semaphore kit to try. I started it on Saturday and got to the point of it being operational. This has now perked my interest in possible investigating MERG's servo control to operate the semaphore. Something else to research!

Still waiting on the PIC programmer so may not get to banging up some PIC smarts to operate the terrace LEDs so might have to resort to just connecting them up in parallel to a 9V battery for the club modelling competition this weekend.

Apart from progressing with the semaphore kit, not exactly sure what I will get around to do as I am waiting on things to come in the mail. One of those things I have to sort out is the electronic components drawer as it is a bit all over the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment