Monday, December 24, 2012

Santy comes tonight. Ho,ho,ho!

The week's evening work concentrated on the Raspberry Pi. I was trying to get the wifi to go int access point mode, without much success. Researching the problem is lending itself to a possible driver issue. The reason for trying to get it into this mode is to have it generate the static IP address/es required for smartphone / tablet connectivity via Engine Driver or something similar. This hasn't been resolved as yet but I am sure it will sometime soon (hopefully). The other thing was to get JMRI connected to the NCE and MERG system USB interfaces. I had success with JMRI capturing the MERG signals. As for the NCE system I will have to try this separately as with the MERG connected JMRI could see two USB devices but I had no idea which USB was what. I made some progress with researching persistent device names which will identify them either as MERG and NCE interfaces. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

On another front I have been waiting for a MERG CANACC8 kit to come into stock. This kit can be converted into a servo output controller (CANSERVO8) as I was wanting to try my hand at automating the ratio semaphore with a servo. So through the week one did so I purchased it. While I was in the MERG shop I thought I would suss out their servo mounting brackit kit, so one of these were purchased. Next over to eBay to purchase some SG90 servos. You can really get a bargain with these from the Chinese based stores. I picked up a 10 pack which included postage which with dollar conversion came up to about $2 per servo! Bargain. Then I stumbled on a couple of OO gauge yard LED lamps from a UK site. I have been looking around for something like these since last year when the brass models I was interested in where not available outside of the UK. I got two packs. Then while I was in eBay I happened onto another Chinese site selling 20 LED street lampposts which I was wanting to replace the bulb variety I had purchased a couple of years ago. Then while I was at it I thought that I could possibly make a working semaphore lamp from SMD LEDs. So across to LEDBaron (a German company) and bought a 10 pack of pre-wired SMD LEDs to have a go at. So a bit of a buying splurge to get ready for 2013's projects.

So the big jolly fellow in the red suit passes overhead tonight, magically dropping off his gifts. Merry Christmas to all my followers and thanks for taking the time to read my musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment