This week I was able to start looking into this by starting with a fresh Pi install and going from there. I was able to get the wifi dongle to broadcast in Master Mode which allows it to become an Access Point, but this wasn't without pain and a few manual interventions, when it should be autostarted upon a boot up of the Pi and be fairly seemless as you want it to be running in 'headless mode' (no monitor). So some further investigation into this. Secondly I need to check the range of the broadcast for use with both the JMRI smartphone apps and the Wifi Walkie Talkie apps.
I didn't get around to starting any kit modelling unfortunately, however after much pestering from Lachlan, I decided to donate my old 12V incandescent street lamps for use on his layout. So he did some hole drilling and gluing in of the lamps. Matthew also helped with one or two of them where he could reach them. I installed an old slide switch near the Transformer. So now I guess I will have to get underneath the layout and wire them all up without burning myself on the soldering iron!
I also ordered 10 IR transceiver combo modules from China for the princely sum of A$1.61 for the lot to use on some experiments and the rail crossing detection project Mr Mackie has suggested I investigate with PIC programming.
So this week probably more on the Pi, maybe start a kit, more than likely burn myself soldering Lachlan's street lamps, and maybe, just maybe look at the PIC programming OR some time on my layout.
This Week's Review
1 week ago

No comments:
Post a Comment