Monday, August 18, 2014

Class 108 decodering started and other updates

Brisbane had a public holiday on Wednesday for the RNA Show Day. So naturally I went down to the Club in the morning to catch up with the guys and start a small project, namely the installation of the decoders into the Bachmann Class 108 DMU. 'Small' is now a relative term!

I got as far as the power car and the install of the Digitrax decoder when I ran out of time. However later in the day I put the non power cars of the DMU on my test track to check the operation of the lights under DC. I worked out that the interior lights come on when the headlights are on, so no separate circuit for them. This made working out the wiring for the decoder a lot easier. I continued on Friday night when I got around to wiring the TCS FL4 function only decoders to their respective 8 pin connectors. Saturday in Brisbane was miserable weather-wise (cold and wet), so I spent the afternoon in the study/hobby room 'supervising' the boys watching a movie so they wouldn't bother their Mum who was coming down with a cold. I programmed the FL4s as directed in an article I got off the Internet, but for some reason the rear car is turning its headlights on in the same direction as the front car when it should be reversed. As instructed the rear car's CV29 is +1 compared to the front car's CV29 number. I also tried remapping the FL4's lighting wires in the reverse direction as to what they should be, but no joy there. I might have to physically re-wire them in reverse order to see if that fixes the problem, else I will be onto the Forums to see if anyone can help.

At the Club on Wednesday one of the other members showed me his NSWGR 73 class which he had sent away to be sound chipped. It sounded really nice, but he had to sacrifice some lighting control in order to have this done. So it has encouraged me to get my finger out and finish my 73's sound install.

On the layout front, I wasn't happy with the darkness of the tunnel rock project, so I lightened it up with a bit of gray paint rubbed over with a cloth. It has improved it a bit, but I think it needs more colour tones. So I am thinking some 'dirt' colours around some of the ridges and maybe some 'mossy' green. Then put some vegetation on some of the ridges where plant life might have taken hold. I am progressively taking photos of this project and will share once done.

The RMCQ Show is on this weekend at  the Strathpine Community Centre so I might see you there on Saturday (hopefully!).

No comments:

Post a Comment