Since the last posting my weekends have been crazy. However I have been able to sort out some things of late, usually during the weeknights once the kids have gone to bed.
So here goes:
- BR Class 108 decoders installed and tested. Yet to have a really good run on a layout. I intend to also put some seated figures in the carriages to populate them. These I obtained at a reasonable price from a guy in Oz
- NSWGR 73 Class - I spent a good week redoing my installation instructions that I intend to make available on the Web. The Zimo decoder is a bit of a masterpiece of electronic engineering but I want to make sure that I have the right wires in the right places beforehand, and know how to program it correctly before I actually raise a soldering iron to it. Hopefully in the next month it may be finished if I get the time
- I have been spending quite a bit of time redoing my Raspberry Pi and JMRI instructions since upgrading the Pi to the latest version and JMRI to 3.8. With 3.8 quite a bit of changes have occurred which forced me into amending the Howtos I had previously written and published. I am also taking the opportunity to do various 'images' versions to allow for future options. I will then look at how to integrate data coming in from the Pi and connected devices such as other microcontrollers or GPIO expansion boards to JMRI
- Mentoring Lachlan for his entry to the Club Xmas competition
- Working on my own layout around the new tunnel (photos below)
It was the club AGM on the weekend and congratulations to the new committee. However three cheers to my mate PK who was nominated and voted in as a life member of the club for his services to the club over the many years he has been a member. Well done me old china!
So here are some photos of the tunnel in development. I am quite happy with the clay however the painting needing improvement.
![]() |
| DAS clay PVAed glued to the side of the polystyrene tunnel former |
![]() |
| Close up of the 'drill' marks. My intention here was to replicate stone drill marks on the exposed rock to give the impression of stone that has been used to form the rock |
![]() |
| Side view near the factory siding |
![]() |
| The 'rock' surface looks shiny. Needed to tone it down. |
![]() |
| Black and gray paints used for the stone |
So in an upcoming blog post I will have some photos of the tunnel scenery, including old derelict tracks, the use of 'puff' balls for shrubbery, and static grass.
Until the next post, happy modelling.






No comments:
Post a Comment