Monday, November 17, 2014

Models progressing

Since the last posting Lachlan and I have been getting on with our respective entries for the Club modelling competition. Lachlan's Stephenson's rocket got about three coats of yellow via airbrushing and now he is onto the hand painting of the detailed bits. Coming along very well for someone who hasn't done much kit building. My model of the NSWGR S wagon is looking pretty good now. I'll post a photo once I have finalised the dullcoating of the model and have sorted out the display for it.

As for the voice chat software I am investigating for the Pi, I have sent an email to the developer re why my newer model Samsung isn't broadcasting but only receiving voice traffic over the private WLAN. Yet to get a reply. Other software like Asterix for Pi looks a possibility but is a full blown VOIP/Unified Comms program which might be too much for what I was looking at.

Last week I took leave from work to get out of Brisbane CBD for the G20 meeting. Last Sunday I took Lachlan down to have him focus on his model painting while I ran some locos that hadn't been run for awhile. Having the Pi now on the HO layout is a godsend.
I was also able to get to the Club a couple of times during the week between sorting through some home chores that needed to be done.

Wednesday at the club I invested time on the 73 class loco's decoder. I was able to solder the wires to the pads, glue in cabin crew, and install the cabin light. Only have to now sort out the wiring between the cabin lights, lightboards and the decoder itself now. Nearly there!
Friday was also at the club for a couple of hours. I took Matt my youngest down to run a couple of NSWGR DMUs (CPH/CTH and 620/720). I found that a 720 class trailer had a jammed up axle and flat spots had been 'filed' down on both wheel treads. I have subsequently sent an email off to Eureka to see if they have any spare wheel sets for this model, or advise an alternative.

Also during the week I received my MCP23017 boards from the UK in the post, so now I can potter around with how to integrate them with the Pi and JMRI (if it is possible). If it is possible to integrate with JMRI, my intention is to see how the operate as sensor &/or output/accessory control boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment