Well another week of virtually no modelling however I did have a small victory. Tuesday night I was rereading the user instructions for the MRC decoder trying to work out what was not happening when the penny finally dropped! I have been misunderstanding a key section about programming the operating mode and the actual operation of the decoder. I thought it was one and the same procedures but it wasn't. Programming the operating mode of the subdecoders is just that. You set how you want each of the subdecoders to operate by programming their respective CV numbers. THEN you just use ACCY on the controller handset to either turn ON or OFF (Normal or Reverse) to activate the various subdecoders. This was the bit that I had misinterpreted. I ran out of time Tuesday night to test my theory however I was working from home on Wednesday awaiting deliveries when I had some time before logging on to go to the shed, program the decoder and activate each of the subdecoders via the ACCY button on the Powercab. It worked. I had a test signal arrangement setup as well and it tested ok as well (Green and Red correspond to either On or Off) I have a small flickering LED problem on one of the connected subdecoders but I am pretty sure it is to do with the resistor. I don't think I have replaced it with the 300 Ohm variety yet. Now that I have sorted out this nagging issue I can go and redo the control panel with the correct resistors.
One thing that I have confirmed is that the MRC decoder does NOT have a memory of the last settings before a power shutoff. Not really a major problem though. I will either configure a 'layout reset' set of commands in the mini-panel (as an experiment that it can be done ) or just manually set them at the start of a layout power on. The 'layout reset' mentioned would be using valuable minipanel real estate if I decide not to expand via a booster so I would only trial the commands to see of it does work for future reference and then remove the commands for the INPUTS once I have connected the additional point motor accessory decoders.
I had intended to go the the club monthly meeting on Saturday but got caught at a family function longer than I had intended so I had to phone through my apologies. Similarly the club's buy and sell was today (Sunday) but due to a distinct lack of spare dosh and getting ready to go away for a couple of days R&R I missed out on that one as well.
This upcoming Saturday is a running day at Mr Mackie's place (http://ca55ino.blogspot.com/) and I am definately going unless something comes up to stop it!
This Week's Review
1 week ago

No comments:
Post a Comment