Monday, June 13, 2011

A good week with the electricals

The week started when I dug out one of the four Eckon two aspect (red/green) signal kits I had purchased about two years ago to try my hand at putting it together. Easy peasy. I also went foraging in my Hornby mag collection for an article about these very kits and how to paint them prototypically. After reading the article I checked the paints and I had the necessary colours. Now just to find some time to paint the signal.
Saturday was Club day and I left the clubhouse with some homework to do. I suggested at the meeting the idea of having a number of layout coordinators for the new HO layout which would act as quality controllers for specific areas of the layout. This idea was received well but I now have to come up with the Roles and Responsibilities for these coordinators for presentation at the July meeting.
Sunday mid afternoon saw me out in the Shed with Lachlan to spend some more time on his layout. We just had time to put down some more ballasting.
Today (Monday) was a great day. The missus took the boys to a playdate and I had a couple of hours to work on the electricals on Illavearf. I finally managed to wire up the control panel, point motors and feedback microswitches the way it should have been. Once done I checked the current draw on the Powercab and it was averaging 40mA for the LEDs being powered. Now I just have to wire up the street/platform lights, station light and signal box light (once I have made up the signal box kit!). Later in the afternoon Lachlan and I continued with more ballasting. Hopefully I will get some photos up on his blog soon.
I am thinking of doing up a website that will link these blogs as well as provide some additional information. I am tinkering with the site at the moment and it is still a way off. One thing will be a To Do list which should be quite extensive!
Another thing I have been spending time on thinking about is the subject of a power booster, namely the NCE SB3a. It is within the budget and size requirements of Illavearf at the moment. My birthday is coming up so I may ask for money from the family so that I can put it towards the cost of the SB3a. I still have to purchase two Digitrax DS64s and at least another two or three MRC 4-output accessory decoders, hence why I need some more grunt for the layout's power.
This week I am hoping to have another signal or three done so that I can paint the lot in one or two sessions so that I can install them on the layout and connected up to the accessory decoder.
Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment